Contact Us Today

Why do I need a building permit?

Accessory Buildings

Chief Building Official - Code of Conduct
The code of Conduct has been adopted by Council and is to be made available to the public

Shuniah Building Department

Tom Butler

 Chief Building Official
Phone: 807-630-3023

To schedule an inspection or discuss your building application please contact Tom Butler directly.

Building & Planning

Welcome to The Municipality of Shuniah

Phone: (807) 683-4545
Toll Free: (855) 683-4545

Shuniah Planning Department

Nadene Hunley-Johansen

 Clerk, Manager of Planning
Phone: 807-683-4540

If you have questions or would like to discuss an issue please schedule an appointment by calling 683-4545 or come into the Municipal Office.

The Planning Department provides by-law interpretation for both Council and the public; prepares amendments to by-laws, technical guidance to council, policy advisor to Committee of Adjustment; negotiates and prepares subdivision agreements.

The Planning Act applies to all development in Ontario and Provincial Policies must be complied with in any documentation or development.

Shuniah has adopted an Official Plan that sets out the municipalities general policies for future land use and includes the government policies and guidelines. The Official Plan was approved by the Province in August of 1996. Further, the Municipality has adopted an Amendment to the Official Plan which was approved by the Province in April 2001.

All construction, development and use, which include plans of subdivision, must comply with the provisions of the Zoning By-law and conform to the policies of the Official Plan as well as the Planning Act and Provincial Policies. Amending zoning by-laws require circulation and notice provisions as specified in the Planning Act of Ontario. Minor variances to the zoning by-law can be processed through the Committee of Adjustment.

To obtain a building permit application form depending on your need, we have a full set of forms for dwellings and garages along with individual application forms. Please contact the Municipal Office if you can't find what you need.