The Municipality of Shuniah values and supports the principles and practices associated with accountability and transparency. Councils accept that they have a responsibility to their citizens, community organizations, businesses and taxpayers to act for the greater good and to ensure that their decision-making process and actions are open and accessible. Council makes consistent and strong efforts to keep the public engaged in and informed on matters of public policy through a variety of communication and consultation mechanisms.

Integrity Commissioner

Effective February 22, 2022, the Municipality of Shuniah has appointed Rosalie Evans and Ron Bourret as our Integrity Commissioners and Closed Meeting Investigators.

The Municipal Act, 2001 (the Act) provides that all meetings of a council shall be open to the public; however the Act further provides specific reasons why a council may choose to close a meeting to the public.  Section 239 of the Act lists those reasons.  The Act further provides a mechanism by which members of the public can, should they feel a meeting of Council has been improperly closed to the public, file a complaint in that regard.  The Act provides for means by which such complaints can be heard, investigated and responded to through a ‘Closed Meeting Investigator’. For more information about Closed Meeting rules, contact the Clerk at (807)683-4540. To have a Closed Meeting of Council or a Local Board Investigated, please contact one of the Municipalities Closed Meeting Investigators.

The Integrity Commissioner and Closed Meeting Investigator can be contacted at:

  • Rosalie Evans (807)627-6303
  • Ron Bourret (807)630-2765

Code of Conduct Complaint Procedure

Any corporation or member of the public may proceed with a complaint.

Members of Council and Council-appointed boards and committees can also submit an inquiry or request to the Integrity Commissioner. These confidential requests help members check whether any conduct they are unsure about is appropriate.

For information regarding the information complaint process see section 24.4 of the Code of Conduct.

Formal Complaint Process/Request for Integrity Commissioner Inquiry:

Any corporation or member of the public can submit a complaint to the Integrity Commissioner about the conduct of a Council or Council-appointed board, committee or commission member. Complaints are always confidential. To submit a complaint, follow these steps:

  1. Contact one of the above noted Municipal Integrity Commissioners.
  2. Download and print the Code of Conduct Formal Complaint Form. The form is also available at the Municipal Office or from the Integrity Commissioner.
  3. Complete the form including ALL information fields. Provide as much information as possible. If you do not complete the form the investigator will not accept it. Please note the document must be commissioned.

Municipal staff must not see or forward complaints. Only the Integrity Commissioner should receive complaints.

Declaration of Pecuniary Interests

The Municipal Conflict of Interest Act requires municipalities to maintain a registry of all declarations made under this Act.

Members of Council shall identify and disclose any pecuniary interests on any item or matter in question and file a written statement of the interest and its general nature with the Clerk on the Declaration of Pecuniary Interest Form.

The Declaration of Pecuniary Interest Registry of the statements and declarations of members of Council will be kept updated on the website. The Forms and Minutes of Meetings are available for public inspection at the Clerk’s Office during regular office hours.

Municipal Complaint Process

By-laws protect our citizens, preserve the environment and maintain the excellent quality of life our community members enjoy. Our Municipal Council puts a By-law into place when an excessive and/or continuous activity is negatively affecting life in Shuniah.

How to submit a complaint

Any corporation or member of the public can submit a complaint. Complaints are always confidential. To submit a complaint, follow these steps:

  1. Download and print the By-law Complaints Form. The form is also available at the Municipal Office.
  1. Complete the form including ALL information fields. Provide as much information as possible.
  2. Email, Mail or deliver the form to the Chief Administrative Officer.

Freedom of Information Request

Everyone has the right to request access to Municipal records. The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA) grants access to records. The Act applies to local government organizations, including municipalities, police services boards, school boards, conservation authorities, boards of health and transit commissions.

For detailed information about exemptions and procedures relating to the Act or its regulations, visit website of the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario.

For more information

For more information about accountability and transparency measures, contact the Clerk’s Department at 807-683-4545 or at

Back to top